Walyalup Koort Community Open Day change of date - now Sunday 12 December.
Join us to celebrate the opening of Walyalup Koort, the only formal town square in Western Australia, with a very special community open day on Sunday 12 December (rescheduled from Sunday 5 December) from 2 pm to 5 pm. There’ll be activities for everyone as we gather to mark this important milestone in Fremantle’s history.
Have some fun at the colourful new Walyalup Koort playground inspired by our port city’s industrial history, unique culture and close links or relax on the Walyalup Civic Centre’s sloping urban lawn.
Explore the state-of-the-art Fremantle Library with free family-friendly activities include drop-in art and craft classes, LEGO making, video games in the gaming zone, the interactive map in the history centre and demonstrations of interactive VR technology and 3D printing.
Come and see your new Walyalup Civic Centre with the welcoming customer service centre, council chamber and bookable community spaces in the library and civic centre.
Witness the inaugural Welcome to Country by Nyoongar Elders and the first lighting of a new ceremonial fire vessel in the Koort.
Enjoy performances from the Walyalup Kannajil Community Choir and Madjitil Moorna Choir, and local Fremantle musicians including Jack Davies and Lucy Peach.
For the kids there’ll be a Kids Adventure Scavenger Hunt through the library and playground, and free activities.
Plus, have your chance at winning great prizes and giveaways.
Program of events
On the stage:
- 2.45 pm - 3.15 pm: Walyalup Kannajil Community Choir & Madjitil Moorna Choir
- 3.15 pm – 3.45 pm: Lucy Peach
- 3.45 pm - 4.15 pm: Jack Davies
- 4.15 pm - 4.30 pm: Freo legends – collaboration performance with Jack Davies, Lucy Peach, Walyalup Kannajil Community Choir & Madjitil Moorna Choir
In the koort:
- 2.15 pm – 2.45 pm: Official Welcome to Country, inaugural lighting of the fire vessel
- 3 pm – 5 pm: Free children’s activities; scavenger hunt, face painting, nature play + prizes and giveaways
In the library:
- 2 pm – 5 pm: Gaming zone, toy library, interactive screen in the History Centre, drop-in craft activities, Santa’s post box, self-guided podcasting
Bring your family, friends and neighbours into the city for the historic opening of Fremantle’s new heart, Walyalup Koort.